Job Title: Legal Specialist, Regulatory & Compliance
Reporting Line: Director, Legal (or assigned designate)
Provide support in ensuring that group operations are compliant in all its operational areas in areas pertaining to regulatory and applicable law compliance. The role includes monitoring group operations on compliance with stakeholder compliances in relation to how the business operates.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Ensure the implementation of the regulatory and compliance strategy for all the group operations
- Assist the Director, Legal in the creation of the group regulatory and compliance strategy
- Undertake and develop compliance tools to monitor entity management requirements within the jurisdictions of incorporation
- Manage the day-to-day interactions that relate to due diligence requests on group entities including management of external company secretaries or regulatory specialists engaged
- Develop and oversee the licensing compliance policy in conjunction with the Legal team and other departments
- Undertake investigations related to non-compliance, identification of issues and resolve the issues in a timely manner in line with the regulatory and compliance strategy
- Review the day-to-day requirements of filings, returns and operations compliances as set out in the licensing conditions set out in each of the licences issued to any group company or as required by applicable laws
- Assist in the development, communication and implementation of the regulatory and compliance policies within the various business units and evaluate compliance
- Develop procedures and processes and execute internal initiatives, work-streams in order to improve compliance by the various business units on regulatory and applicable law compliances
- Assess and review business compliance with the legal risk management strategies including but not limited to insurance to ensure that the business is protected
- Undertake the implementation of the dispute management strategies agreed upon by the business in enforcing its rights in the contracts entered into including (but not limited) to claims made against the business
- Following up on cases filed against the organisation and preparation of legal reports and opinions
- Create and ensure implementation of regulatory and compliance registers for all business units
- Stay abreast and monitor industry trends and new regulations in order to analyse the impact on the business units including compliance requirements
- Lead the provision/submission of compliance reports to regulatory bodies and/or internal audits as may be undertaken
- Maintain the real estate register and ensure compliance with relevant local authorities requirement
- Degree in Law within a common law jurisdiction
- Post-graduate diploma in Law or a Masters in law (or in any other field)
- At least 4 years of experience in an in-house capacity or in practice
Experience & Skills:
- Familiarity with the telecommunication sector, regulatory requirements and compliance mechanisms within the TMT sector
- Strong organisational skills to operate effectively in a fast-moving and dynamic environment
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to influence and form good working relationships at all levels.
- Negotiating skills and capacity to work with other professionals including non-legal professionals to develop innovative solutions to conflicting interests and positions
- Ability to think strategically while managing the details, and to make clear recommendations
- Ability to speedily grasp the essence, content, and implications of the group’s business and the relating regulatory and applicable compliances
- Ability to supervise and train employees, including organising, prioritising, and scheduling work assignments
- Self-motivated, proactive, and able to work with teams in a multi-geographical environment
- Client-focused, relationship builder.
- Integrity, honest with high ethical standards.
- Boundless, passionate, and flexible.
- Personal excellence, accuracy, and attention to detail.
- Collaborative, achieve results through teamwork and partnerships.
- Willingness and ability to work under pressure, multi-task and think creatively.
- Friendly, approachable, patient, persistent and an avid team player.
- Well-presented & professional
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply by submitting their application letter and updated CV to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the job position in the Subject Line. The deadline for application is Friday, 08th July 2022.
Legal Specialist, Regulatory & Compliance
Nairobi, Kenya/Full Time
To provide support in ensuring that group operations are compliant in all its operational areas in areas pertaining to regulatory and applicable law compliance. The role includes monitoring group operations on compliance with stakeholder compliances in relation to how the business operates.
Sales Managers – Durban & Cape Town
South Africa/Full Time
To provide both pre- and post-sales support for good client management.